Pet Vaccines in Hayward CA
Caring Pet Hospital is proud to provide vaccinations to cats and dogs in the Hayward area. As your pet’s Hayward animal hospital in Hayward CA, we encourage all pet owners to get their pets vaccinated on a regular basis. Understanding the benefits of pet vaccinations can help you take care of your pet and maintain your pet’s good health.
Benefits of Pet Vaccines
- Greater resistance to diseases. Pets who are vaccinated may develop an immunity to certain specific illnesses and diseases, which can help them stay healthy.
- Better quality of life for your pet. Vaccinated pets spend less of their time suffering from illnesses and life threatening medical conditions, which can lead to increased quality of life.
- Increased public safety. The rabies vaccine slows the spread of rabies throughout the community. This helps ensure that your pet and family is protected from this terrible disease.
- Compliance with the law. California state law requires dogs to be vaccinated for rabies. The rabies vaccine is required to license your dog with the state.
Core Vs. Non-Core Vaccines
Core vaccines, like the rabies vaccine, canine distemper, and feline calcivirus, are vaccines that are given to pets regardless of their lifestyle or other risk factors. Non-core vaccines, like the feline Leukemia virus and the canine rattlesnake vaccine, are vaccines that are administered to pets only if they are at risk for those illnesses and conditions. In the case of non-core vaccines, it is the pet’s veterinarian who determines whether or not a pet is at risk for those conditions and which non-core vaccinations would be best administered to that pet.
Vaccines and Safety
Some pet owners have concerns about the safety of vaccinations. In general, the risk of complications after a vaccination is low. At Caring Pet Hospital, we sometimes see the following negative reactions in pets:
- Pain and swelling at the site of the injection.
- Lethargy and irritability.
- Decreased appetite.
- Mild fever.
- Flu-like symptoms.
These reactions are all considered very mild and will generally go away in a matter of hours. Some pets may have a more severe reaction to vaccines, such as difficulty breathing, vomiting and diarrhea. However, severe negative reactions to vaccinations are very rare. At Caring Pet Hospital, we encourage pet owners to monitor their pet’s health in the hours immediately following a vaccination. If your pet displays signs of severe distress, we encourage you to call us immediately.
Contact Your Hayward Vet for Pet Vaccinations
At your pet’s veterinarian in Hayward, we provide vaccinations to pets of our community. Serving the areas of Sorenson, Russell City, Fairview and San Lorenzo, we help pets build their resistance to diseases and enjoy better quality of life. For more information about pet preventative care, contact your pet’s Hayward veterinarian today at the Caring Pet Hospital. Call us at (510) 537-1788.