- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Posted on 06-02-2017
Protecting Your Furry Friend From Lyme Disease in Hayward, CA
Lyme disease is a serious bacterial illness transmitted to animals and humans by specific species of ticks. These ticks tend to attach themselves to tall brush and grasses just waiting for a passerby to latch onto. Infected ticks are carriers of a bacterium known as Borrelia burgdorferi, which can begin transmitting itself into a new host within 24-48 hours of attachment to the skin. While dogs are at greater risk of transmission than cats, the symptoms of infection are the same.
Symptoms of Lyme Disease
If your pet has encountered an infected tick, it’s important to take them to our animal hospital in Hayward for Lyme disease treatment right away. Some symptoms of Lyme disease to look out for include:
- Loss of Appetite
- Shifting, Recurring, or Intermittent Lameness
- Swelling or Stiffness in Joints
Our veterinarian in Hayward will run some tests in order to confirm a diagnosis of Lyme Disease at our Hayward animal hospital location. Immediate treatment can help prevent the disease from progressing to kidney failure and cardiac issues.
Lyme Disease Prevention Tips
Our Hayward Veterinarian recommends several effective methods for Lyme disease prevention in pets.
- The best way to prevent Lyme disease is through regular applications of flea and tick preventive treatments. This will not only deter fleas and ticks, but it is designed to kill ticks before they can transmit the disease. Our veterinarian in Hayward can recommend the most appropriate tick preventive medications for your pet.
- You can also reduce pet’s exposure to Lyme disease carrying ticks by keeping them out of wooded areas and tall grass patches.
- Take time to check your pet each day for fleas and ticks, and giving them a good brushing is the best way to find these parasites. Immediately remove any ticks you find.
- If you and your pet love the great outdoors, our Hayward veterinarian can discuss vaccinations for Lyme disease prevention.
Lyme Disease Treatment and Prevention in Hayward, CA
Here at the Caring Pet Hospital, we offer Lyme disease treatment, which typically involves several weeks of daily antibiotics. Tougher cases may require further therapies to resolve any specific symptoms or side effects of the parasite. Call us today at 510-537-1788 to learn more about our treatment and preventive recommendations concerning Lyme Disease.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.